Carnival team wants Dereham’s parade to be bigger and louder than ever
- Credit: Archant
When you think of a Carnival most people will think of the parade and Dereham's Carnival team want their parade this year to be bigger, louder and better than ever.
Taking place on Sunday, July 16 the Dereham Carnival is shaping up to be another huge success thanks to a small army of volunteers.
Last year over 25 floats snaked through the town centre, from lorries to tricycles, tanks to sports cars.
You may also want to watch:
But this year they want many more people to get involved and are inviting applications for floats from business, organisations, schools and groups.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 6 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
Carnival chairman Kerry Doyle said: 'Not only is it an amazing day to be part of but it is great publicity for your business, organisation or good cause with around 10,000 lining the streets watching the parade.'
It is free to enter, you can choose your own theme, and there is a prize of £100 for the best dressed float. Last year it was awarded to Northgate High School for their Under The Sea themed float.
The parade itself will start at 11am with the Recreation Ground opening up to members of the public at about 12pm until 6pm.
Visit www.derehamcarnival.co.uk/parade to fill in your application.
The team is also looking for a float judge to help pick the winning entry and they would love this to be somebody with strong ties to the town.
Message the committee via their Facebook page if you would like to nominate somebody, but their permission must be sought beforehand.
Entries are also being taken for the Tug Of War competition on the day.
The current holders are The Railway Tavern who won the engraved shield. But could your club, pub, business or organisation beat them?
Heats will be held during the Carnival Day and the final, to be held in the main arena towards the end of the day, will showcase the strongest and wiliest of the teams.
It is open to over-17s only, with teams of between 6-8 people, and teams must be available for the entire Carnival day. The application form is also available on the Dereham Carnival website.
For more information contact Carnival HQ at 11 Broadway Farm, The Broadway, Scarning, Dereham, NR19 2LQ or telephone 07393 928801.