Search

Firefighters called after smoke fills care home kitchen

PUBLISHED: 09:35 13 November 2019 | UPDATED: 12:11 13 November 2019

Thorp House care home in Griston. Picture: Kingsley Healthcare

Thorp House care home in Griston. Picture: Kingsley Healthcare

Archant

Firefighters were called after smoke from a faulty microwave filled a kitchen at a care home.

The incident happened at Thorp House care home, in the village of Griston, near Watton, at 12.20am on Wednesday, November 13.

Firefighters from Watton, Hingham, Attleborough and East Harling were called to the kitchen of the building in Church Road.

It was originally stated by the fire service that 40 people were evacuated from the building, but bosses at the care home said only four residents were temporarily moved from their rooms.

A spokesman for Kingsley Healthcare, which runs the home, said: "We would like to thank the firefighters for their quick response, but fortunately it turned out to be a very minor incident.

"There was smoke from a faulty commercial microwave oven in the kitchen, but no flames.

"Four residents in rooms closest to the kitchen were temporarily moved into staff houses in the car park but there was no evacuation of the site.

"The firefighters simply removed the microwave; they did not have to use hoses and no water was involved."

Firefighters also used a thermal imaging camera to help make sure the fire had been completely dealt with.

Crews had finished their work by just before 1.10am.

A spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said the damage to the home had been "minimal".

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists