Car-park work date switch aids North Walsham and Fakenham
Double disruption for motorists in North Walsham has been avoided after work on a town-centre car park was postponed.
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) had planned to carry out �32,000 worth of refurbishment on the Vicarage Street car park this week.
But major work is under way at the adjoining Sainsbury's, to create a new exit on to Mundesley Road, and sections of its car park are out of use.
An NNDC spokesman said the original date had been swapped to avoid creating extra problems for motorists and the work would now take place from December 5-9 when it was hoped the Sainsbury's work would be finished.
The swap had also benefited Fakenham where �30,000 of work at the Queen's Road car park was taking place this week instead of the original early December date when it would have clashed with the town's Christmas tree festival, according to the spokesman.
Staff from North Walsham's Sainsbury's are currently using the Vicarage Street car park to ease pressure on spaces at the store.
Improvements to Vicarage Street car park will see repairs to damaged areas, resurfacing, re-lining, clearing drains, the creation of two coach bays, and some landscaping to improve the 'previously rather bleak concrete environment.'
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 6 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 7 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 8 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 9 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 10 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
The car park will stay open throughout the works which will be completed half at a time through the week. Some spaces would always available for use, including slots allocated for disabled motorists, the spokesman added.
The works are part of this year's capital programme of NNDC car park improvements which also includes �12,000 worth of work at the Chequers car park in Sheringham, due to take place from November 28-30.