Customers in Chapelfield shopping centre evacuated after fire in car park
- Credit: Archant
Customers were evacuated from a city centre shopping mall Tuesday afternoon after reports a car was on fire in the car park.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said they were called at 12.33pm to Intu Chapelfield shopping centre.
Four crews were tackling a car on fire in the centre's car park.
Photos showed customers being evacuated by staff members in high visibility jackets and a cordon around the doors to stop people entering.
A tweet from the shopping centre's account at 1.51pm said: 'A big thank you to all our customers and staff for their patience and help during the fire evacuation earlier both centre and car park are now open.'
Paul McCarthy, general manager at intu Chapelfield later added: 'We can confirm the centre was evacuated earlier today, but we are now re-open. I'd like to say a big thank you to all our staff and customers for their patience and co-operation during this time.'
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 4 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 5 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 6 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 7 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 10 Three cars crash near Swainsthorpe on Norwich Road