Car firm gears up after solid launch on market
- Credit: Archant
It's small but sleek and it hums like a beehive when the engine springs to life.
It's a high-performance sports vehicle made by Wymondham firm Zenos Cars, and there are soon be many more of them on the road.
After launching in 2013, the company's owners aim to make 100 cars this year – twice last year's total – and plan to employ at least eight more staff increasing the workforce to more than 30.
Operations director Matt Windle said that included taking on two new apprentices – a dream for any budding petrol head.
He said: 'We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated youngsters to join the team. They'll have the opportunity to work on high-end sports cars, as well going on day release to college for part of the week.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Windle said the company was aiming for a turnover of £3.5m this year, with about half of the profits coming from export markets including the US, China, Japan and Europe.
Zenos has three models, from the basic 2l E10 to the top-of-the-range E10R which can go from 0 to 60mph in just three seconds thanks to its 2.3l turbo-boost engine.
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 Teacher who supported hundreds of children through education dies aged 67
- 6 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 'People are dying': Up to 500 patients waited for ambulance in one night
Prices range from £26,995 to £39,995.
The firm was founded by Caterham Cars' former chief executive, Ansar Ali, and its chief operating officer, Mark Edwards. Mr Windle said: 'They wanted to start a company that was based on giving driving thrills at an affordable price and this is it.'
Zenos produces two cars week and it takes four weeks to build one from scratch.
Current apprentice, 21-year-old Jordan Gilmour, from Wymondham, said he was thrilled with his role at the firm. Jordan is involved in all parts of the production from assembling the sub-frame to the putting on the finishing touches.
He said he also enjoyed getting behind the wheel. 'They're so precise and well-balanced, and they're a lot of fun to drive.'
Call 01953 604 545 for more information about career opportunities at Zenos.