Can you name this new variety of rose? Notcutts Garden Centre launches contest
- Credit: Archant
Shakespeare's Juliet once claimed that 'a rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.
And now flower fans are being encouraged to prove she was right by naming a new rose variety, developed by a Norfolk garden centre.
Notcutts Garden Centre has launched a competition for people to name its new floribunda garden variety with rich-pink blooms, which will be launched as part of the business's 120th anniversary celebrations this year.
Caroline Notcutt, vice-chairman at Notcutts, which has a branch in Daniels Road, Norwich, said: 'We are very excited to introduce this beautiful, celebratory rose variety as part of our 120th anniversary and, as a thank-you, we'd like our customers to help us name it.
'The competition is a great opportunity to express your creativity – perhaps looking at the rose's vivid colour, our 120-year history, or whatever inspires your imagination.
You may also want to watch:
'I look forward to reading the entries and announcing the winner in July.'
The closing date for entries is May 21, and the new rose will go on sale in July.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 10 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
The competition is free to enter for anyone over the age of 18.
As well as having the honour of naming the new rose, the competition winner will receive a prize package including a prime specimen of the rose, £120 in gift vouchers, afternoon tea for two, a bottle of rosé champagne and a pair of secateurs. Four runner-up prizes will also be presented.
Entries can be made online at notcutts.co.uk or in person at Notcutts.