Can you help give Norwich gay campaigner Dean Simons the send-off he deserves?
- Credit: Supplied
Friends of Norwich Pride chairman Dean Simons, who died aged 51 earlier this month, have set up a fundraising page online to help give him 'a deserved, dignified funeral'.
Mr Simons was one of the men behind the colourful Norwich Pride festival, which celebrated its sixth annual event in the city last year.
Norwich Pride is a celebration from the LGBT community for everyone, and its aim is to ensure that everyone can feel safe and proud to be themselves in the city.
Mr Simons, who was on benefits and lived in Hollis Lane, Norwich, became chairman of Norwich Pride in 2013 after working as the access steward for the organisation.
He died on December 6, and Danielle Sharpe, who helped set up the fundraising page, said: 'With no immediate family we are in desperate need of donations to give this man a deserved dignified funeral.
You may also want to watch:
'He was an avid gay pride campaigner in Norwich.
'We have set up a funeral donation page online and need to spread the word about this great man. We are looking to raise £1,900 to give Dean Simons the dignified burial he deserves.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
'Dean suffered from spina bifida and was plagued with illnesses his whole life, but as a proud man he never once asked for help from anyone. Yet he would always be there to help others.
'It's heartbreaking for anyone to die around Christmas, but to know he died alone and will remain alone until we can raise this money is truly heart-wrenching for all who knew him.'
If you can help, visit http://gogetfunding.com/project/rip-dean-simons-funeral-fund
Are you fundraising for a good cause in Norwich? Email firstname.lastname@example.org