Campers stop large grass fire spreading on the Broads
- Credit: TOM BRISTOW
Disaster was prevented after campers on the Broads helped stop a large grass fire spreading.
The blaze began next to a footpath in Reedham, close to the Ferry Inn and River Yare, at around 9.20pm on Saturday, July 28.
According to an eyewitness it started just outside the camping grounds.
He said: 'Campers got buckets of water and fire extinguishers from the pub and campsite to try to put it out. That stopped it spreading. Flames shot about 20 feet in air at peak as a pile of wood next to a bed of reeds caught light.'
It is understood that the fire started accidentally, according to the eyewitness.
You may also want to watch:
One fire crew from Great Yarmouth arrived at about 9.35pm by which time most of blaze had been put out.
They then doused area down.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
The eyewitness added that one tent had to be moved.