Tributes to Lord Peter Melchett from fellow campaigners
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Lord Melchett was policy director at the Soil Association from 2002 until his death.
Its chief executive Helen Browning said: 'We are so saddened by the death of Peter Melchett, policy director at the Soil Association and true champion of the organic movement.
'Peter was such an important, charismatic figure in the environment and organic movement throughout his lifetime.
'He was an extraordinary man with incredible knowledge across a wide range of subjects, ranging from beef farming to sustainable cosmetics.
'A true campaigner all his days, he will be greatly missed by all his Soil Association colleagues.'
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk-based campaigner Jessica Lonsdale, who worked for Greenpeace in the 1970s and went on to form the Environmental Investigation Agency, said: 'Peter was a passionate campaigner for the environment. He stood up for what he believed in, he practised that in his own farming and his campaigning with Greenpeace for many years. He's going to be greatly missed. We need people like Peter.'
- 1 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 5 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 9 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinic as surplus stock becomes available