Tears of joy replace tears of sadness as community shows love for clown with cancer
Tears of sadness have been replaced with tears of joy after hundreds of messages of support, jokes and special memories have helped to boost the spirits of a well-known comedy character who was diagnosed with cancer.
The family of Bubbly Bingo the clown have been 'overwhelmed' by the love shown for him after an appeal was launched to help bring a smile to his face.
Bubbly Bingo – also known as Malcolm Mallett, of the Earlham area of Norwich – has brightened up the lives of children and families across the region, having entertained at Pettitts Animal Adventure Park at Reedham.
But after being diagnosed with blood cancer and tumours in his nose and throat, Mr Mallett, 69, has been receiving chemotherapy treatment at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
In an effort to cheer him up, his daughter Donna Amiteye launched an appeal called 'Operation show Bingo the love', which called on people to send in messages of support and love 'to make him smile again' – and the response has been 'amazing'.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'It's totally overwhelmed me – the support not just Norfolk people, but people from all over the country. Hundreds of letters and emails have been sent – the appeal has really gone viral. We've had people contact us from America, including clowns and entertainers in Virginia and Chicago, and we even received a card from comedian Jimmy Cricket on Saturday.
'Dad is having good days and some tough times as he's been in a lot of pain, but he has perked up with the messages of support and instead of crying with sadness it is tears of joy.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 5 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 6 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 9 Gay and trans people targeted in hate incident at school
- 10 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
Renowned for his pranks, stunts and comedy magic tricks, Bubbly Bingo the clown has brought smiles to families across the region and those who visited on holiday over the past 40 years.
Mrs Amiteye said: 'Every day we're getting cards through the post and mountains of emails. People have been telling him jokes, remembering the pranks he played and recalling what he had done to make them laugh. I am totally proud - so many people really appreciate what he has done for them over the years – we can't thank them enough for the support.'
To send a message or a card to Bubbly Bingo the clown, email Mrs Amiteye via firstname.lastname@example.org