Man taken to hospital after fire in village
- Credit: Ben Hardy/Archant
A family was evacuated and one man has been taken to hospital after fire crews were called to a Norfolk village.
Five fire engines were on the scene after being called to a fire at a property on Norwich Road near Buxton.
Crews from Aylsham, Sprowston, Earlham, Carrow and Wroxham were called to attend at 3.49pm on Sunday.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service group manager Simon Mason said the fire was in a self-contained annexe at the side of the property.
The fire caused the roof of the building to partially collapse and a man has been taken to hospital for a precautionary check after the rest of the family was evacuated.
It is understood the man had gone back into the building to investigate before the crews arrived.
Mr Mason said: "The fire was quite well developed and had spread into the roof area. The fire has been contained to the annexe and the crews will continue overnight to make sure the fire is completely extinguished.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 4 Drought declared in Norfolk
- 5 Corrections made to prices at Yarmouth's new leisure centre
- 6 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 7 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 8 Behind the scenes at Britain's most dilapidated hospital
- 9 Nine fire crews battling large field blaze near Norwich
- 10 Smoke billows over Norwich as fire breaks out at Mousehold Heath
"The good news story if we can have one in these instances is the fact the occupants were alerted by their smoke alarm which was working. It allowed them to all safely evacuate the property, call the fire brigade and allow us to deal with the fire.
"The message for everyone out there is make sure you have working smoke detectors and if it goes off, get everyone out, phone the fire brigade, stay outside and wait for us to deal with the fire.
"Do not go back into the property at any stage to investigate as the smoke can be quite toxic."
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service posted on social media to warn motorists to avoid the area as the road was closed
Drivers were asked to turnaround when travelling towards the B1354 from the Sandy Lane junction.
The fire service then informed the public the road had reopened by 7.45pm.