Busy Great Yarmouth roundabout set for major improvement plan
- Credit: James Bass
Planning is under way for improvements to a busy junction as part of major upgrades to the A47.
A £300m programme to improve the road, includes the reconstruction of the Vauxhall Roundabout, as well as improvements to the A12 junction.
Highways England said they have started major plan improvements to six locations along the A47/A12 route.
A feasibility study was carried out in 2014 to identify investments solutions for improving the A47/A12 route in order to reduce congestion, delays and accidents, as well as support economic growth.
A spokesman for Highways England said: 'We're now identifying options for how best to improve the roundabout so it's too early to confirm costs or a design at this stage.'
You may also want to watch:
Great Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis says he is delighted with the news, after long campaigning for improvements to the A47 and A12.
He said: 'After decades of neglect, the Vauxhall roundabout needs to be fully reconstructed so it works better for all road users and allows traffic into the town to flow more freely. It is key to easing the traffic congestion on the Acle Straight.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
'I meet regularly with Highways England to discuss the progress of these works and my understanding is that they are in the process of carrying out land surveys so the next stage of the works can be put into place.
'I have raised concerns on numerous occasions with Highways England that the improvement works are not being implemented fast enough, and together with my fellow Norfolk MPs, I continue to press them to ensure that work starts as soon as possible so that all constituents will benefit from the improvements to road traffic in Great Yarmouth.'
Work is not due to start until 2020 and it may not be completed until 2023.
Other planned improvements to the A47 include dualling the route from Blofield to North Burlingham.
Highways England A47 project manager Oluwole Odetola said: 'Work on the preparation for the dualling of several sections of the A47 is progressing well and to schedule.
'These schemes will make a real difference to drivers, local people and the economy by providing safer, more reliable and less congested journeys.
'We are now working on developing options for the six schemes including the A47/A12 junction enhancements, which will inform initial designs.
'We will continue to engage with local people and stakeholders as we continue to develop these improvements and will make further announcements in due course.'
The £300m project to improve the A47 and A12 was announced by Prime Minister David Cameron during a trip to East Anglia in 2014.