Businesses consulted on closure of A1151 Wroxham Road for NDR work
- Credit: Archant
Businesses in Wroxham and Hoveton are being asked to give their views on when the nine-day closure of the A1151 Wroxham Road in October should take place.
The closure is part of work on the Northern Distributor Road (NDR) and will see a trench cut across the road to allow construction of a culvert.
The first option being proposed is closing the road from Saturday October 7 to Sunday October 15. NDR bosses believe this would avoid disrupting visitors during half-term, but would affect more commuters and school transport.
The other option is a closure over school half-term from Saturday October 21 to Sunday October 29. This would avoid commuter traffic but would affect Broads visitors with many businesses opposed to this option.
Barbara Greasley, director of Norfolk Broads Direct, said she realises the work is necessary and when complete the NDR will be a great benefit to her customers, but she does not want the A1151 closed during half-term.
You may also want to watch:
'Closing the A1151 during October half term will have a detrimental effect on our business,' she said. 'Also, it will be the last busy week of the year for our holiday bookings. Therefore, we would support the closure to be from Saturday October 8 to Sunday October 15.'
Pete Howe, of Broadland Cycle Hire, said neither week was ideal but would prefer the first option.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 6 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 7 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 8 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 9 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 10 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
'I would prefer the first week as it does not interfere with half term but I do understand the concerns around the normal traffic and school buses,' he said. 'But I think it will have a less of an effect if it is closed then rather than half-term for selfish reasons as it may have an impact on my business.'
He added whenever the road is closed he hopes there are clear diversions in place.
• Those who have a preference should email firstname.lastname@example.org.