Southern Trains and Primark among most improved brands in new list
- Credit: PA
Sports Direct and Southern Trains have been named among the most improved brands by UK consumers.
Department stores John Lewis and Marks and Spencer came first and third respectively in the annual YouGov 'brand health' list.
BBC-related brands iPlayer and BBC One took second and ninth positions while Heinz came in fourth.
New entrants to the top 10 were Ikea and cheese brand Cathedral City, taking fifth and eighth place respectively.
Samsung and Amazon, who also made the global top 10, were placed sixth and seventh and pharmacy chain Boots was 10th.
You may also want to watch:
Sports Direct's score improved by 6.2 points to minus 6.2 – similar to mid-2016 levels – after a period away from negative headlines regarding its working practices.
Similarly, Southern Trains, long blighted by strikes, cancellations and related media coverage, has also seen its score improve by 4.8 points to minus 11.3.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 7 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 9 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 10 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
Fashion chain Primark also made a notable leap in the past year to move from negative to positive brand health with a 3.6-point improvement to take it to a score of 2.7.
Amelia Brophy, YouGov's head of brands, said: 'Over the past year the retail sector has struggled to combat problems arising from ferocious online competition and increased business costs.
'However, in the face of this, the public clearly retains an affection for traditional high street brands with long and rich histories, such as John Lewis and Marks and Spencer.
'Similarly, while the BBC has faced challenging headlines over the past 12 months, the public clearly still rates what the corporation offers and iPlayer and BBC One continue to be in strong brand health.'
Here is the full top 10 in the YouGov 'brand health' list 2018:
1. John Lewis
3. Marks and Spencer
8. Cathedral City
9. BBC One