Southern Trains and Primark among most improved brands in new list
- Credit: PA
Sports Direct and Southern Trains have been named among the most improved brands by UK consumers.
Department stores John Lewis and Marks and Spencer came first and third respectively in the annual YouGov 'brand health' list.
BBC-related brands iPlayer and BBC One took second and ninth positions while Heinz came in fourth.
New entrants to the top 10 were Ikea and cheese brand Cathedral City, taking fifth and eighth place respectively.
Samsung and Amazon, who also made the global top 10, were placed sixth and seventh and pharmacy chain Boots was 10th.
Sports Direct's score improved by 6.2 points to minus 6.2 – similar to mid-2016 levels – after a period away from negative headlines regarding its working practices.
Similarly, Southern Trains, long blighted by strikes, cancellations and related media coverage, has also seen its score improve by 4.8 points to minus 11.3.
- 1 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 3 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 4 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 5 Woman accused of exposing herself to boy outside Lowestoft park
- 6 Some firefighters using foodbanks amid £18m payroll system 'farce'
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in crash with 4x4 outside village pub
- 8 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 9 Council refusing special school place for disabled girl
- 10 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
Fashion chain Primark also made a notable leap in the past year to move from negative to positive brand health with a 3.6-point improvement to take it to a score of 2.7.
Amelia Brophy, YouGov's head of brands, said: 'Over the past year the retail sector has struggled to combat problems arising from ferocious online competition and increased business costs.
'However, in the face of this, the public clearly retains an affection for traditional high street brands with long and rich histories, such as John Lewis and Marks and Spencer.
'Similarly, while the BBC has faced challenging headlines over the past 12 months, the public clearly still rates what the corporation offers and iPlayer and BBC One continue to be in strong brand health.'
Here is the full top 10 in the YouGov 'brand health' list 2018:
1. John Lewis
3. Marks and Spencer
8. Cathedral City
9. BBC One