Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- Credit: Joe Kerry
Most 18-year-olds dream of saving up enough money to buy their first car but a teenager from Diss has invested all of his savings in opening a sweet shop.
USA Sensations is an American sweet shop which is set to open in St Nicholas Street.
The business is owned by Joe Kerry who was unsure about what direction to take with his career.
He had hoped to become a music producer after passing a music course at Access Creative College in Norwich last year. But now Mr Kerry has decided to take a different path - with the opening of his very own sweet shop.
He said: “I completed a year of music at college last year and I did a year's carpentry the year before. But I just wasn’t feeling it.
You may also want to watch:
“I originally wanted to work at the BBC in London doing music production - but unfortunately I didn’t get accepted.
“I love American sweets, I used to order them now and again with my nan but I never thought I would open my own shop.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
"I mentioned the idea to my mum and she thought it was really good because there is nothing like that around here - you have to go to Norwich or Beccles.
“I was going to buy a car with my savings but I wanted to invest in something bigger, for my future, and I just went for it.”
The sweet shop offers a variety American brands including Hershey, Reece's Pieces, Jolly Rancher, Fluffs and Jelly Belly, as well as American style cookies, limited edition KitKats, sodas and protein shakes.
Its official opening is on Wednesday September 29 at 7.30am.
“I’m trying to make it stand out and give Diss something new,” Mr Kerry added.
“Everyone seems to love it already. It is getting a lot of attention on Facebook and I have had a lot of support from other businesses in Diss.
“I feel really proud and I’m only just getting started. There is a lot more to come but that’s a surprise.”