Topping out ceremony for Thetford Riverside development
- Credit: Archant
The completion of a multimillion pound town centre development is edging closer after one of the most significant stages in its construction was completed.
The Riverside development in Thetford has been fitted with a crucial feature – its roof – which was commemorated with a traditional topping out ceremony last week.
It was carried out by Breckland Bridge, the joint venture between Breckland Council and The Land Group which is managing the project.
It may be the architectural equivalent of the icing on the cake, but there is a lot of work still to be done to fit out the 62 bedroom Travelodge, three screen The Light cinema and five restaurants which will make up the development on Bridge Street.
David Winch, director of The Land Group, said: 'The rising skyline of Thetford Riverside has reached a significant milestone for both the project and the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
'The topping out marks the reaching of the very top of the building.
'We are pleased that this momentous point in the construction has been celebrated and would like to thank Farrans Construction and the whole development team for their hard work.
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 3 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 4 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 5 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 6 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 7 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 8 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 9 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
- 10 Popular restaurant to reopen after staffing issues
'The variety of leisure on offer at Thetford Riverside will vastly improve the retail experience for Thetford and the surrounding area.'
Mr Winch added that the development was still on schedule to be completed in the autumn.
Breckland Council's deputy leader Sam Chapman-Allen, who attended the ceremony, said: 'This project represents significant investment in Thetford and demonstrates our commitment to supporting its growth and vibrancy.
'When complete, Thetford Riverside will deliver excellent leisure facilities to the growing number of residents, businesses and visitors in the town.'
What do you think of the new Riverside development? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.