Top award for Norfolk beef herd
A Norfolk pedigree herd has won a national award for making the most improvement from the English Beef and Lamb Executive.The trophy, presented at the Royal Show, recognises that Tony and Phillida Hurn had the most improved Simmental herd.
A Norfolk pedigree herd has won a national award for making the most improvement from the English Beef and Lamb Executive.
The trophy, presented at the Royal Show, recognises that Tony and Phillida Hurn had the most improved Simmental herd.
Tony and Phillida Hurn, son-in-law Jonathan Seaman and his wife Karen, run the 2,200-acre arable and livestock enterprises at Hall Farm, Wickmere, near Aylsham.
They have about 350 cattle on the farm, managed by Phillida's son, Edward Morgan-Evans.
You may also want to watch:
The award is presented by the EBLEX Beef Better Returns Programme (Beef BRP) to the recorded herd which shows the most impressive improvement to its genetic merit over a 12-month period. There is a separate award for each of eight UK breeds.
The Hurns recently hosted a Beef BRP Better Breeding event highlighting the best practice in use on farm and in the herd.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
Mrs Hurn said: “I am delighted to have won this award which shows investing in a better bull has really done the trick for our herd.
“Using EBVs as part of the mix when choosing a bull has also resulted in some great stock and excellent weight gains in our suckler herd.”
The award was presented at the Royal Show in July by EBLEX Beef BRP's project manager and Norfolk farmer's daughter Netta de la Cour.