Sync DevelopHER Awards recognise region’s talented women in tech
- Credit: Archant
A bid to raise the profile of women in the tech industry saw the region's best developers, designers and coders honoured in the first annual DevelopHER awards.
Organised by 21-year-old web developer Vickie Allen, who works at Liftshare in Norwich, the evening was aimed to create role models for aspiring women and promote gender equality.
Among those taking away an award at the event, held last night at the King's Centre in Norwich, was Hayley Fraser-Webb, of Strategiq Marketing in Ipswich.
Ms Fraser-Webb, 45, said she hoped her business would be the main sponsor of next year's awards, which is planned for Ipswich.
'It means a lot for me to have won in terms of the fact I have years and years of experience,' she said. 'It's nice to have the recognition.'
The awards were sponsored by tech businesses including Proxama, JobHop, Naked Element and Google.
A surprise award from Inspired Women was presented to Miss Allen, who said for women, confidence was a big issue.
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 3 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 4 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 5 Woman in serious condition in hospital after crash between two cars and van
- 6 Mum trying to find lost 'heart' of daughter who died days after birthday
- 7 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 8 Abnormal load to travel through county on first day of Norfolk Show
- 9 Redundancy leads to Norfolk mum earning up to £3,000 a month
- 10 North Norfolk glamping site named among best in the UK
'I was overwhelmed with the award,' she said.
'There is a vibrant tech community in East Anglia, and we want women to be a part of that.
'We don't have enough women in tech in Norfolk. Technology is about everything, you can't do anything without it now.
She said of UK web developers, just 17pc were women, and wants to promote gender equality.
Other winners were Emma Lane, Roisin Delaney, Sarah Fuke, Sofia Price, Alice Rose, Hayley Fraser-Webb, Stella James, Lisa Price, Stacy Talbot, Rachel Canham, Hazel Cottrell and Stella James.
Are you launching a new technology firm? Call Sabah Meddings on 01603 772879 or email firstname.lastname@example.org