Spray operator's top award
North Norfolk spray operator Gareth Morgan, left, has won a regional award at the International Sprays and Sprayers event.Mr Morgan, of Alby, near Aylsham, won the award at Cereals 2007 near Royston, Cambridgeshire.
North Norfolk spray operator Gareth Morgan, left, has won a regional award at the International Sprays and Sprayers event.
Mr Morgan, of Alby, near Aylsham, won the award at Cereals 2007 near Royston, Cambridgeshire.
He is responsible for spraying about 1,000 hectares, including cereals and potatoes, for Toby Mermagen's Alby Farming Company. The award is due recognition for the outstanding skills that he demonstrates as a professional spray operator.
Mr Morgan, who has worked for five years at Alby, fine-tuned his Sands self-propelled sprayer for optimum accuracy and safety. His colleague and fitter Reggie Buck built a self-contained water bowser with integral storage compartment, measuring and drainage area to minimise risk of any spillage. Rinsed containers can be left to drain over a collection tank for safe disposal.
You may also want to watch:
A member of the National Register of Sprayer Operators, Mr Morgan attends training meetings and also ensures the sprayer is serviced and passes the "MOT" inspection.
These measures, operated on farms across the country, have been instrumental in the success of the Voluntary Initiative (VI), and demonstrating the farming industry can work in partnership to deliver high quality food without damage to the environment.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea