Sport bursary for young Norfolk athlete
A young Norwich triathlete has been presented with a special SportsAid bursary at the latest SportsAid Norfolk Business lunch.
Alex McKibbin, 16, who recently came 4th in the British Elite Duathlon Championships and is already competing in the 17 to 19-year-old age group, was presented with the bursary by Olympic 400m relay silver medallist Jamie Baulch.
SportsAid Norfolk runs a programme of lunches to raise funds for selected young Norfolk sportspeople who have the potential to go on to national and international competition, to help with their equipment and travel expenses that they normally have to rely on their parents for.
The lunches are sponsored by Norwich-based businesses oneonone communications, Howes Percival LLP, Davis Langdon, Lovewell Blake and Handelsbanken.
The lunch raised over �1,000 thanks to auction bids for a signed Norwich City football, a signed print of Sir Henry Cooper, a signed print of four England Rugby Union Legends and a Microlight Flying Experience.
Rob Davies, managing director of co-sponsor oneonone communications said: 'The lunches have a dual purpose of raising funds for Norfolk's most talented sporting youngsters and providing a fantastic platform for great value client hospitality and networking.
'Raising money that will directly help Norfolk's best young athletes is very rewarding and I would encourage other Norwich businesses to come along and take a table and see for themselves what a worthy event this is.'
- 1 Man admits hiding camera to film 14-year-old girl in shower
- 2 Man in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash in north Norfolk
- 3 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 4 Acle roadworks force drivers to take detour via Great Yarmouth or Wroxham
- 5 Fast & Furious and Star Wars actor dines in Norfolk pub
- 6 'Norfolk's Battersea Dogs Home' is full as cost of living crisis bites
- 7 A47 dualling gets government green light
- 8 Delivery driver had 'Aladdin's cave' of goods worth almost £20,000 at home
- 9 Loaded chips street food vendor opens second venue in Norfolk
- 10 Two Norfolk hotels named among the most romantic in the country
Cardiff-based Baulch, who is now a TV presenter, spoke to the audience about his experiences as a young athlete right through to winning World Championship gold and running the London Marathon.
The next SportsAid lunch will be held on October 13. For details call Rob Davies on 07709 366310.