Royal Norfolk Show: Prize joy for far-reaching Lincoln Red herd
- Credit: Ian Burt
The winners of one of the Royal Norfolk Show's top cattle titles are expanding international export markets for their prize-winning beef
The Steggles Trophy for the beef breeder of the year went to Natasha and Richard Mann, with the Yarn Hill herd of Lincoln Red cattle.
The 250-strong herd is based at Iken, near Woodbridge in Suffolk, and the winning group of three animals comprised a yearling cow called Yarn Hill Hazel, and two yearling bulls, Yarn Hill Uther and Ulrich.
Mrs Mann said: 'It is fantastic, more than I could have ever dreamed. It really puts the Lincoln Reds on the map.'
The farm exports its beef to countries including Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and Switzerland, via Colchester-based firm Direct Meats.
You may also want to watch:
The family has also been invited to Hong Kong later this year for the launch of a new beef brand in the supermarkets which they supply.
Mr Mann said it was initially the demand for British pork in the Far East which opened the door for other meats. He said: 'All the customers were saying: 'You have really good pork, so what else have you got?
- 1 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 2 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 8 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 9 Linnets turn down £100,000 bid for midfielder
- 10 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
'It is brilliant that someone is marketing this beef in other countries and it is lovely that we also get lots of chefs coming out to us from London and the restaurants who want that provenance, to be able to see and touch what they are buying.'