Rowers welcome regeneration ideas for Denver Complex
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Rowers based at a West Norfolk beauty spot are excited by the ideas that have been put forward to regenerate and improve its surrounding area.
Members of West Norfolk Rowing Club out on the waters of Denver Sluice, near Downham Market, enjoy conditions which are perfect for rowers of all abilities.
Phil Bancroft from the club said: 'This is a cracking place to row.
'The conditions are great for those learning and improving their skills; it's also great for those who are ready to head off and explore the area from the water.
'We're really excited that Denver Sluice could be regenerated in the future, and that our ideas on potential improvements here are also being considered.'
You may also want to watch:
Ideas from the rowing club and residents in the area were unveiled at a public exhibition last month. These included the provision for ice skating, a visitors centre, improved moorings and facilities for boaters, and better trails for cyclists and walkers.
Environment Agency consultants are now finalising their visioning study for the Denver Sluice Complex, which is believed to control one of the largest network of sluices in the country. This is expected to be complete by the end of May.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
An Environment Agency spokesman: 'We will look at the outcomes and options from this report and decide on the best actions to take.'
Watersport facilities, including better provision for canoeists, and a water taxi service between Downham Market and Denver Sluice are also being considered.
Nix Marston, of Ryston Road, in Denver, rows regularly with her family.
'It feels amazing to be out on the river,' she said. 'As well as the benefits of the exercise, we've also spotted a huge amount of wildlife by the waters. There are kingfishers, barn owls, and herons here; it's exhilarating to be so connected to nature.
'To have this facility at the end of my road is very convenient.'
- Find out more about West Norfolk Rowing Club at wnrc.westnorfolkrowingclub.co.uk
- Do you have any thoughts on the potential regeneration of Denver Complex? Email email@example.com