Leisure centre to open as Covid vaccination base
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre in North Norfolk is opening as a coronavirus vaccination centre for people living in a rural area.
Rossis Leisure near North Walsham will be used as a vaccination centre for surgeries including Birchwood in North Walsham.
The surgery posted the news on social media, stating it hoped to receive the first delivery of the vaccine next week to be given at Rossis, subject to NHS approval.
Bruce Rossi, owner of Rossis Leisure, confirmed the news, which will be a relief for people, particularly the elderly, living in rural parts of north Norfolk where the nearest vaccination centre has so far been Norwich or Fakenham.
He said he understood it would serve five different GP practices.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rossi said: "I offered up my building to the NHS before the last lockdown and there has been a lot of planning to make it happen. You can't just open the doors.
"We've had to unfurlough some staff so it can operate safely and securely. There was somewhere in Long Stratton turned down because of highways but we are in a good position, away from a main road, and we have lots of space inside."
- 1 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 2 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 3 Chef to reopen major hotel that closed amid financial woes
- 4 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 5 Couple who drove from Hull to Norfolk for a walk among lockdown breakers
- 6 Burglars cut hole in fence to steal Labrador from kennel
- 7 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 8 Cottage project that is a 'step back in time' coming under hammer
- 9 Three boaters prosecuted for speeding offences on the Broads
- 10 Revealed: Adult vaccination rates are lower in some areas of Norfolk
Mr Rossi, who also owns the JR's American diner, bowling alley and indoor and outdoor play areas next to the leisure centre, said the building had been deep-cleaned in readiness.
"It means people won't have as far to travel to get a vaccination."
And he said he was looking forward to reopening his businesses when Covid restrictions eased. "We are safeguarding jobs and plan to reopen as soon as we can."
Birchwood Medical Practice in North Walsham issued an update on its Facebook page, stating: "We are pleased to announce that we should be receiving our first deliveries of Covid vaccinations during the week commencing January 11, all subject to agreement and confirmation from NHS England.
"We are dedicated to making these vaccines available as quickly as possible. Vaccination clinics will be held at Rossis Leisure Centre, once again subject to approval by NHS England."
Like other surgeries, Birchwood asked patients not to phone , but that they would be contacting people in due course.