Rolls-Royce agrees £671m corruption payout
- Credit: PA
Rolls-Royce has agreed to pay £671m to British, US and Brazilian authorities to settle bribery and corruption claims.
The engine maker, which has a site at RAF Marham, said it has in principle reached a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) with the UK's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the US Department of Justice (DoJ), and a leniency agreement with Brazil's Ministerio Publico Federal (MPF).
The deal will go before a High Court judge for approval on Tuesday.
The agreements relate to bribery and corruption scandals involving intermediaries in overseas markets such as Indonesia and China.
The company first passed information to the SFO in 2012 after facing 'allegations of malpractice' in the two countries, after which the fraud squad launched a formal investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Officials for the firm said at the time its own investigations had found 'matters of concern' in additional overseas markets.
Rolls-Royce said the sums were 'voluntary agreements' which result in the suspension of a prosecution, provided the company fulfils certain requirements, including the payment of a financial penalty.
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 4 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 5 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 6 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 7 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 8 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 9 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 10 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
The firm has agreed to make payments to the DoJ totalling $169m (£140m) and to the MPF totalling $25.6m (£21.2m).
Under the terms of the DPA with the SFO, Rolls-Royce will pay £497m plus interest over five years, plus a payment in respect of the SFO's costs.
Rolls-Royce will pay £293m in the first year of all three agreements.
The firm said it has co-operated fully with the authorities and will continue to do so.
Rolls-Royce will report full-year results in February, when it will update the market on the implications of the settlements to the balance sheet.
The firm said early indications show that the group has had a 'good finish' to the year with both profit and, in particular, cash expected to come in ahead of expectations.
In a statement, the SFO confirmed the agreement had been reached in principle with the company and said approval would be sought at a public hearing scheduled at the Royal Courts of Justice on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, anti-corruption group Transparency International UK executive director Robert Barrington called for individuals to face prosecution over the case.
He said: 'Ultimately, whether or not this settlement is in the public interest, the key individuals responsible for corrupt behaviour must not be allowed to evade justice.
'In order to serve as a proper deterrent for companies who think it is acceptable to do business with bribery, those involved with or who sanctioned bribery must be prosecuted individually.'