Roger Hickman buys out Upper St Giles premises in Norwich
Renowned Norwich chef Roger Hickman has secured the future of his business on Upper St Giles after taking ownership of the premises.
Mr Hickman has made the investment more than two years after starting the business at a time when other independent restaurants in the city, including By Appointment and the Elm Hill Brasserie, have closed.
Until now Mr Hickman has rented the building.He said: 'I got it on a short term lease in 2010 and started in the middle of the recession which was a gamble. I have increased the turnover year on year.' The business now has sales of �500,000.
He said: 'I have bought the building and it now gives me security. Everybody knows it as a fine dining building. I want to concentrate on making it the best restaurant in Norwich.'
He said it was really sad that there were less independent restaurants in Norwich after the recent closures.
You may also want to watch:
'It is becoming a city of chains restaurants which is a bit sad, but I am doing really well. I am busy most of the time, even at weekends,' he said.
He put it down to a combination of reputation and consistent food.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 8 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree
'I have got a great team behind me and it just keeps getting better and better and we just keep trying to deliver every day,' he said.
Roger Hickman has worked in Michelin-starred restaurants including Tom Aikens and Pied de Terre in London. He opened Roger Hickman's in February 2010 after six years as head chef at Adlard's Restaurant in the same premises.
He was recently awarded Regional Winner by the Good Food Guide 2012 and Winner of the EDP Norfolk Food and Drink Awards 2011.
Christie Finance secured the funding to enable Mr Hickman and his wife Penny to purchase their restaurant premises.