Rare farm machinery set to go under the hammer at Ely auction
- Credit: Submitted
A selection of vintage machinery from a bygone age will go under the hammer this month in an auction billed as the largest of its type in the country.
More than 3,000 lots – ranging from classic steam engines and vintage tractors through to specialist cars and rare motorcycles – will be included in the sale near Ely, run by Cambridgeshire-based auctioneers Cheffins.
Among the stars of the show will be a 1907 Foden Showmans steam engine, a 1909 Fowler traction engine, a 1908 Marshall traction engine and a 1933 Sentinel DG6 steam wagon. There is also a three-quarter (9') scale Taskers steam tractor and a model steam wagon 'Bitza'.
Meanwhile farming enthusiasts will be able to bid for more than 200 vintage and classic tractors, headed by a rare 1966 Doe-130.
There is also a well-restored David Brown 50D and an extremely low-houred Ford 6640, along with a 7810 and County 1174. Other makes and models include Austin, Field Marshall, Roadless, Lanz Bulldog and John Deere.
Cheffins auctioneer Oliver Godfrey said another stand-out lot was a 1970 Massey Ferguson 135 – restored in a unique livery to reflect Harry Ferguson's original 'Black Tractor' of 1933.
'The restoration has been completed to a very high standard using many new parts and close attention to detail, even down to a black enamelled manifold,' he said. 'It's certain to turn heads and is definitely a change from the usual Massey red.'
- 1 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 2 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 3 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 4 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 5 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 6 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 7 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 8 Fears access road for new housing will be built on sacred land
- 9 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 10 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
Other vehicles to go under the hammer include a 1949 Dennis Lancet Duple coach, Atkinson Weightmaster, GMC CCKW 353 Pontoon Bolster, Foden OG4/6 recovery truck, ERF 56TS 6 wheeler, Rolls Royce Shadow II and a Cadillac Calais.
Mr Godfrey said a 1966 Fiat Nuova 500F 'Cinquecento' barn find could be of particular interest to collectors and enthusiasts.
'It has an immaculate interior and is a real time-warp,' he said. 'Some restoration work is required to the exterior, but a more original example would be hard to find.'
Meanwhile, the selection of motorbikes includes a Royal Enfield Model KX, Ariel 4Gs mark one and mark two, a BSA J12 with Swallow 9D, a JAP V twin Lyclone and a Phoenix-JAP racing bike.
The Cambridge Vintage Sale takes place at The Machinery Saleground, Sutton, Ely, from 9am on April 25.