One of Norwich’s oldest buildings in online auction with 10 flats
A 16th century former home of a Norwich mayor which played its part in the Ketts Rebellion is coming up at online auction.
The freehold of Bacon House, 31, Colegate, built for mayor Henry Bacon in 1557, and bearing a blue plaque is being sold in a lot with a mixture of flats and old buildings for a guide price of £750,000.
Bacon House, a fantastic example of a Tudor building, also played a dramatic part in the Kett’s Rebellion. Bacon famously hosted the Earl of Warwick at the house during the summer of 1549. Warwick was planning to crush the rebellion and the building luckily escaped being torched by rebels. More recently the building has been used as a movie location.
Among the lot are also 10 flats with garages in Lowes Yard, built on the 0.36 prime site in one of the city’s most historic quarters as well as three homes, one in neighbouring St George’s Street, near the Last Brasserie, and two in Calvert Street and a commercial building in St George’s Street.
The lot is being sold as a rent investment and the portfolio generates £34,000 a year.
You may also want to watch:
A 99 year lease was granted on the whole site to Norwich City Council in 1974 so there are 53 years remaining. The council then developed what was the car parking area at the rear into the flats.
Auction House’s auctioneer Bryan Baxter, said: “This would appeal to a long term investor looking for a secure income.”
- 1 Police give out £200 penalty notices to day-trippers for second weekend running
- 2 'They think they can get away with it' - crowds flock to seaside village
- 3 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 4 Family of missing man informed after body found in water
- 5 Man dies after rescue operation to cardiac arrest call
- 6 100 cannabis plants found at three neighbouring properties in village
- 7 Norfolk Covid-19 cases at lowest level since October, figures show
- 8 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 9 Greek chain looks set to take over former Giraffe restaurant
- 10 Man in 70s punched and kicked repeatedly after being pulled from car
The online auction is on July 22.