Escape to the sun? Norwich Airport plans reopening with new flights
- Credit: Getty Images
People looking to travel abroad this summer could be in for the news they've been waiting for after Norwich Airport announced its new timetable.
A host of flights to a total of 18 destinations in nine countries are scheduled to operate from Norwich this year.
The airport has been closed to all but essential flights to Aberdeen for offshore workers because of Covid.
But the airport has now divulged its plans to reopen, with a new flight timetable, in accordance with the government's gradual easing of restrictions. People will be still required to adhere to rules on travel in place for different countries, which may include taking a Covid test and quarantining.
This year, up to three KLM flights daily to Amsterdam will be reinstated from May 24. This follows the scrapping of the service because of Covid last December.
However, holiday flights start as early as May 8 to Guernsey with Aurigny airline and May 9 to Jersey with Loganair.
For those looking to escape to even sunnier shores, TUI is operating flights from Norwich Airport to Dalaman, Turkey, from May 17, Palma, Majorca, from May 18, Bourgas, Bulgaria, from May 20 and Corfu from May 21.
Other destinations in 2021 from Norwich include Edinburgh from September 7, Bergamo, Italy on September 15, Tenerife from September 30, and two flights to Lapland on December 18 and 21.
- 1 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 2 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 3 Emergency services dealing with incident at inflatable on beach
- 4 Third time lucky for historic pub's reopening
- 5 Royal Mail postboxes stolen from villages
- 6 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 7 Woman died after crash on way to visit mother's grave
- 8 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 9 Extinction Rebellion protesters arrested for smashing Barclays windows
- 10 Dog ban on popular north Norfolk beaches extended
The Fly Norwich 2021/2022 timetable also includes flights to those destinations next year. However, additional routes will also operate from Norwich Airport to Menorca from May 1, 2022, Crete from May 3, 2022, Rhodes from May 4, 2022, Paphos, Cyprus from May 5, 2022 and Ibiza from May 7, 2022.
Richard Pace, managing director of Norwich Airport, said: “We’re delighted to be publishing the latest edition of Fly with a host of ideas and inspiration for discovering the world from Norwich Airport.
"Whether it’s a fly-cruise, short break, summer sun, winter escapes or business links, our fantastic choice of direct flights heralds a welcome return to air travel, all with the ease and convenience of flying from your local airport.”
Flights will operate in accordance with government Covid rules and restrictions. Under the roadmap, domestic travel may be allowed from April 12, and international trips from May 17 - though the government has said this is subject to review.