Mundesley beach voted second best in country
- Credit: Archant
It is a haven for sunseekers with a sweep of golden sand below the undulating cliffs.
Now the north Norfolk resort of Mundesley been placed second in a vote to choose the UK's premier Blue Flag beach.
The coastal village was one of the 11 destinations selected by HolidayLettings.co.uk for the online vote.
Mundesley was runner up with 21 per cent of the vote, behind Portstewart Strand in County Londonderry with 46 per cent.
Geoff Smith, from village website Mundesley.org, said: 'We are very pleased, one of the major things on Mundesley beach is that it is very safe. We have RNLI lifeguards, an independent lifeboat and Coastwatch station. Our beach is well-known for its clean sand, seaside café, and other amenities and regularly been awarded a Blue Flag status for a number of years.
You may also want to watch:
'I hope this will attract more visitors, which will be good for the village and business.'
Holidaylettings.co.uk spokesman Jack Johnson said: 'The beaches we selected needed to have a special feature to be included in the shortlist. For Mundesley, we knew it had a reputation for one of the most relaxing spots in the county, as well as being known for earning a Blue Flag award year after year.
- 1 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 2 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 3 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 4 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 5 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 6 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 7 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
- 8 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 9 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 10 Boss unhappy over fake worker's 'vile' comments about Prince Philip
'Mundesley Beach did extremely well to get the second highest number of votes, pipping brilliant beaches like of Porthmeor in St Ives and South Sands in Salcombe in the poll.'
Mundesley is one of four beaches which currently holds a Blue Flag in Norfolk with the others being Cromer North, Sea Palling and Sheringham.
North Norfolk District Council Cabinet member for leisure Becky Palmer said: 'It is very clear we have some of the best beaches in the world in north Norfolk; the Blue Flag awards prove this, and this online public vote shows just how much visitors and residents value Mundesley beach. This is a superb achievement.'