MP demands answers over HSBC bank closure in North Walsham
- Credit: PA
A decision to close an HSBC bank branch in North Walsham has been described as a 'real blow' by the town's MP.
The company has announced it will be shutting the outlet in November.
North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb has raised concerns about the move made public last week.
He said: 'Losing HSBC from North Walsham would be a real blow. Hard on the heels of bank closures in Stalham I am really worried that banks are not taking the needs of communities in rural Norfolk into account when they make these decisions. We need a full explanation of how they reached this decision.'
Mr Lamb has written to the bank's chief executive Antonio Simoes and the government's 'Minister for High Streets' Marcus Jones about the issue.
The company blamed a reduction in business at the Market Place branch for the decision and said it would be working to address the concerns of customers and staff.
An HSBC spokesman said: 'We continually review our branch network to make sure our branches are in the right locations for our customers and we have a sustainable network for the future.
- 1 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 2 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 3 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 4 Fewer than half of village's homes occupied by full-time residents
- 5 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 6 Norwich's 'hidden' church added to at risk list
- 7 'Quirky' two-bed cottage in Wymondham on sale for £350k
- 8 7 major events to look forward to in Norfolk in July
- 9 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 10 West Norfolk town centre road closed following two-vehicle crash
'Over the past five years, we have seen an overall reduction in footfall at our branches of more than 40 per cent, and sometimes we have to make the difficult decision to close branches.
'These are not decisions we take lightly and we work closely with those impacted, including customers and staff, to help them understand their options.'
The branch is due to close on November 25. Customers will be able to use the town's Post Office on New Road for banking or the nearest HSBC branch in Cromer.
Stalham lost its final two bank branches when Nat West and Barclays closed last year. HSBC shut its outlet in Reepham in September leaving the town without a bank.