Morrisons will be selling “wonky” avocados for a bargain price this summer
- Credit: PA
Wonky avocados are to go on sale at Morrisons for around a third of the average cost as demand and global prices hit record levels.
The supermarket will sell the misshapen and superficially blemished fruit for 39p each, or £2.40 a kilogram, as the average retail price hits £1.05, up from 98p last year.
The global price of avocados has recently reached record levels due to flooding and drought, late harvests and worker strikes in grower areas.
Poor crops have coincided with soaring demand from consumers, attracted to the fruit's health benefits including high levels of vitamin E, iron, potassium and niacin.
Morrisons is sourcing its wonky avocados – Hass, Pinkerton and Fuerte varieties – from South Africa, where growers would benefit from reduced waste, increased crop yields and higher farm incomes.
The grocer said the avocados were termed 'wonky' on account of their assorted sizes and superficial skin blemishes caused by natural wind scaring while on the tree. However, their taste, texture and flesh colour is exactly the same as a normal avocado.
James Turner, avocado buyer at Morrisons, said: 'Avocados have become one of Britain's most expensive salad items. But our new Wonky line means customers will be able to buy this luxury item for a fraction of the price.
- 1 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 Vicar at heart of bitter church row resigns
- 4 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 5 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 6 Princess Anne receives warm welcome at Royal Norfolk Show
- 7 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 8 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
- 9 Five-bed farmhouse with attached orchard and glamping site for sale
- 10 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
'Apart from being odd shapes and sizes, and with some marks on the outer hard skin, they're the same as normal avocados. They taste great and have the same levels of healthy nutritional ingredients.'
Wonky avocados will go on sale in the majority of Morrisons stores from May 15 until the end of summer.