LF Papworth Ltd shortlisted for grower of the year award
- Credit: Adam Fradgley / Exposure Photogr
A north Norfolk family farm has been shortlisted for a national award which celebrates the country's commercial growers.
L F Papworth Ltd, based at Felmingham near North Walsham, will battle it out for Potato Grower of the Year at the UK Grower Awards in February.
The contract farming business grows a wide range of crops, has a large sheep and cattle enterprise and annually farms on behalf of more than 20 landowners.
Tim Papworth, joint managing director and chairman of the NFU regional Horticulture and Potatoes Board, said: 'This is a great honour for the business and a reward for the hard-working team of staff.'
L F Papworth Ltd has been growing potatoes in Norfolk since 1926 and supply national chip and crisp brands as well as local and national supermarket chains.
'Almost half of our potato area now is growing salad potatoes which is all about attention to the tiny details of potato growing, from precision irrigation to timing of planting and harvesting,' said Mr Papworth.
In 2014 the farm supplied 7,552 tons of potatoes from the farm and, of that, 1,475 tons were salad potatoes.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 3 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 4 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 5 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 6 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 7 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 8 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 New headteacher appointed at village high school
Do you have a farming story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org