LF Papworth Ltd shortlisted for grower of the year award
- Credit: Adam Fradgley / Exposure Photogr
A north Norfolk family farm has been shortlisted for a national award which celebrates the country's commercial growers.
L F Papworth Ltd, based at Felmingham near North Walsham, will battle it out for Potato Grower of the Year at the UK Grower Awards in February.
The contract farming business grows a wide range of crops, has a large sheep and cattle enterprise and annually farms on behalf of more than 20 landowners.
Tim Papworth, joint managing director and chairman of the NFU regional Horticulture and Potatoes Board, said: 'This is a great honour for the business and a reward for the hard-working team of staff.'
L F Papworth Ltd has been growing potatoes in Norfolk since 1926 and supply national chip and crisp brands as well as local and national supermarket chains.
You may also want to watch:
'Almost half of our potato area now is growing salad potatoes which is all about attention to the tiny details of potato growing, from precision irrigation to timing of planting and harvesting,' said Mr Papworth.
In 2014 the farm supplied 7,552 tons of potatoes from the farm and, of that, 1,475 tons were salad potatoes.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 4 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
Do you have a farming story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org