Historic village pub with shop and holiday lets for sale or rent
- Credit: Archant
A 17th century Norfolk pub, given a new lease of life with the opening of a farm shop on the site, is up for sale again.
The Half Moon pub, in Rushall near Diss, was taken over by licensees back in 2017. The property was refurbished and opened later that year followed by the unveiling of a farm shop on the premises in 2018.
However, in 2019 it went up for sale again but just before it was due to change hands, Covid struck and the sale fell through.
It is now on the market for invited offers with Savills for the freehold or rental offers with a new lease available.
The pub reopened between lockdowns last year but is now permanently closed.
You may also want to watch:
Former licensee Sarah Campbell-Jones said: "It has been an absolutely horrific year for us as a business. We had so much support from local people and we didn't get a chance to say goodbye and thank them."
The pub, owned by an investment firm, had been closed for a year when Ms Campbell-Jones, who used to run the Swan in Harleston, took it over.
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 3 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 4 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 5 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 6 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 7 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 8 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done
- 9 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
- 10 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
The building dates to the 1600s with later additions. According to the Norfolk pubs website, it was taken over by licensee Richard Botwright in 1828 in a sale by Harleston Brewery.
In March 1843, a tailor named E Sandy celebrated the completion of his 12 month tee-total pledge by drinking two pints of beer at the Half Moon. Upon leaving he was so drunk, he fell into a ditch and was discovered dead the following morning.
And in 1947, apparently there was great excitement in the Half Moon when a bull got loose and rampaged through the public bar.
The pub closed in 1983 and it was de-licensed in 1984 but reopened in 1991. It is now for sale or rent with six letting rooms, the shop as well as an attached private house with two double bedrooms, a lounge, kitchen and its own garden.
The pub has a feature inglenook fireplace, reception and dining room as well as staff accommodation upstairs with four bedrooms. Outside is car parking for up to 60 cars.