First inter-active careers event
SUE SKINNER West Norfolk is to host a unique "hands on" careers festival to enable young people to get a real feel of the working world.
West Norfolk is to host a unique "hands on" careers festival to enable young people to get a real feel of the working world.
Opportunities West Norfolk will be the first inter-active careers event to be held in the area and takes place at Lynnsport, King's Lynn on October 11 and 12.
Teenagers aged 14 to 16 are being targeted on October 12, when all local high schools will be offered subsidised transport to the festival.
You may also want to watch:
Adults, including parents and carers, and youngsters outside that age group will be welcomed to the early evening opening the previous day.
Exhibitors will demonstrate the range of career opportunities offered by West Norfolk's business and services in creative and practical ways.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 3 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 4 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 Revealed: Norfolk's hotspots for Japanese Knotweed in 2021
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 7 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 8 Tractors and harvesters sold as farming family retires after 100 years
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 Matt Hancock faces calls to resign after allegation of affair with aide
But the key to the event will be "ambassadors" - young employees from a variety of local companies and organisations, who will be on hand to tell students about their job and how they got into their chosen careers.
Opportunities West Norfolk events director, Andrew Coates, said: "Young people pick up strong messages about career opportunities from other young people who have already had experience of choosing a career.
"The response to this event from employers in West Norfolk has already been very positive."
The festival is being run in partnership with Connexions Norfolk and West Norfolk Council, supported by the West Norfolk Partnership and the East of England Development Agency.
It forms part of a wider initiative by the partnership to improve prosperity and strengthen the local economy in the area.
Further details about exhibiting at or visiting Opportunities West Norfolk is available from Andrew Coates or Nina Hurst-Jones on 01278 422301 or by emailing email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.