Family-friendly Destination Aylsham celebrations to take place this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers from a market town hope to show it off and boost community spirit this weekend in a family attraction with a difference.
Destination Aylsham, which has never been held before, will kick off tomorrow and finish on Sunday.
It will take place around the town, including the recreation ground, Red Lion Street and the Market Place, and will feature a 10k run, Aylsham Rocks mini music festival and a fancy dress fun run.
Destination Aylsham has been organised by the seven members of the Cittaslow Community Events Committee and will replace the former one-day carnival which has been running for over 20 years.
Committee chairman Karen Smith said: 'It is quite a brave venture to take on a weekend event. The first of anything is a leap into the unknown.
You may also want to watch:
'There are not many opportunities for the community to get together. Apart from buying the odd bit of food you don't have to spend a penny.'
She added: 'It is very important to have gatherings. I hear of people who are not fortunate enough to live somewhere like Aylsham moaning about the fact that there is no community spirit.
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 4 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 5 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 10 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
'Despite the fact there is no time and money is short, people find the time to arrange events in Aylsham. It is good to have that community spirit.'
Members of the committee decided to organise the special weekend after they carried out a survey of people in the town. It revealed many wanted the carnival event to be extended to a weekend. Pupils from Aylsham High School will be putting on the West End Experience show at the school between 7pm-8.30pm tomorrow. Tickets can be bought on the door and cost £5.
Dance, music and art demonstrations, and a Keys valuation day will be just some of the attractions on Saturday between 8.30am-4pm.
In the evening five local bands will be playing in Aylsham Rocks on the recreation ground between 5pm and 10pm.
Tickets cost £6 each and can be bought from Barnwell's newsagent in the town or by visiting www.destinationaylsham.co.uk
On Sunday, a 10k run will be taking place at noon from Sir Williams Lane in front of Aylsham High School.
For more information about all the events taking place, visit www.destinationaylsham.co.uk and to join the committee ring 01263 733354.