Dr Martens Boots to create its largest UK store – in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Iconic footwear retailer Dr Martens Boots has unveiled plans to launch its largest UK shop in Norwich – creating 10 new jobs.
The new store will open on Castle Street on October 2 as it targets the city's 'vast student population', managers said.
It will be the third shop recently opened by the brand, which has also set up operations in Brighton and Edinburgh.
It comes just over a month since it was revealed that more than 100 jobs will be created thanks to the arrival of restaurant chain TGI Friday's and the development of a second city H&M clothes store.
TGI Friday's is to open a new waterside restaurant in September at the former Squares site, while H&M is setting up shop at the nearby Riverside Retail Park on July 25.
Amy Nelson, UK retail marketing manager from Dr Martens, said: 'We're delighted to be opening our largest store in Norwich.
'The Dr Martens culture is a perfect fit for a rich, vibrant city such as Norwich.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 3 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 4 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 5 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 6 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 7 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 8 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 9 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 10 New headteacher appointed at village high school
'The styles and trends that people wear in the city, combined with an unrivalled shopping experience, vast student population and one of the UK's best music and arts scenes, make it an ideal fit for the Dr Martens brand.'
The 2,000 sq m store will feature exposed wooden floors, brick walls, and industrial lighting features, including a 'Made in England' zone to highlight the products created at its Northamptonshire factory.
It will sell footwear, clothing and accessories, and will have a photo booth similar to its store on Carnaby Street.
The first Dr Martens boots were manufactured in the UK in 1960 at its factory on Cobbs Lane, Northamptonshire.
Originally, they were popular with postmen, police officers and factory workers, but were later adopted as a fashion item in the 1970s and 1980s by scooter riders, punks and youth sub-cultures.