Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- Credit: Emili Spanton
A Dereham woman was left stunned as her barbershop was named as one of the best in the UK.
Emili's Barbers, based in Norwich Street, Dereham, came 20th in the Barber Shop of the Year category at the UK Hair And Beauty Awards for 2022.
Things got even better as Ms Spanton placed 45th in the Barber of the Year classification.
Convinced she wouldn't stand a chance of gaining any recognition, the 24-year-old didn't even bother watching the awards ceremony - and only discovered her success when a fellow barber congratulated her.
Ms Spanton, who took over the shop in January 2021 but couldn't welcome customers for four months, said opening during the pandemic had made her triumph even sweeter.
"When I signed the lease a month before, we were not due to go into another lockdown," she added.
"But because I then wasn't allowed to open, I used the time wisely and gave the shop a massive makeover.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 4 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 5 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 6 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 9 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
"There have been plenty of hurdles along the way, but this makes it all worth it."