Lockdown sparks a spike in demand at online farm machinery auction
- Credit: Brown & Co
Auctioneers reported an “unprecedented level of interest” in an online farm machinery sale after demand built up during the lockdown’s lack of on-site auctions.
Sales agents at Brown and Co have been running quarterly online timed auctions since 2014, but its most recent sale “went off with a bang”, with more than 250 registered buyers contributing combined bids of more than £570,000 as the bidding window drew to a close.
The auction included combine harvesters, tractors, loaders, cultivation equipment and livestock kit, as well as a “significant entry” of potato grading and bagging equipment from the Fens. Auctioneers said the inclusion of three bulk entries from farm businesses undergoing a change in policy in Norfolk, Nottinghamshire and Oxfordshire “greatly added to the appeal of the sale”.
Highlights included a 2011 Fendt Vario 724 tractor with more than 9,000 hours on the clock which attracted a bid of £46,000, a 2017 Merlo TF42.7 CS telehandler selling at £36,000, and a 2013 Claas Axion 820 tractor showing 6,500 hours which sold at £27,000.
In the forage section, demand was strong for quality hay with 270 mini Heston bales of 2019 cut selling at £26.60 per bale and 160 Quadrant bales of 2019 cut hay selling at 32.50 per bale.
You may also want to watch:
Presiding auctioneer Simon Wearmouth, a partner in Brown and Co’s Norwich office, said: “Overall trade was strong across the board with some real stand-out highlights. Demand was particularly strong at this sale due to the lack of on-site dispersal sales due to the current conditions and both farmers and the trade looking for quality used machinery.”
- 1 Family of missing man informed after body found in water
- 2 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 3 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 4 Police give out £200 penalty notices to day-trippers for second weekend running
- 5 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 6 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 7 Cardiac arrest call sparks rescue operation near beauty spot
- 8 Photos show RAF centre being visited by ‘beast’ of an aircraft
- 9 Households with children to get two Covid tests per person every week
- 10 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake