CBI notes “steady growth” in retail sales
- Credit: PA
Retail sales continued to grow steadily in the year to May, for the sixth consecutive month, although at a slower pace than in April, according to the CBI's latest Quarterly Distributive Trades Survey.
The survey of 136 firms showed that retailers expect a faster rise in sales next month, and expect their business situation to improve over the coming quarter.
Grocers saw a slower annual rise in retail sales in May, driving overall sales growth lower. Despite that, growth in this sector remained strong overall. Sales rose solidly in furniture & carpets, clothing and chemists, with the latter seeing the first annual rise in sales since October 2013. However, department stores' volumes declined on a year ago.
Internet retail sales also rose robustly, but at the slowest pace since June 2013.
Employment in the sector was broadly flat in the year to May, but is expected to pick up slightly next month. Retailers' investment plans were less positive than in the previous quarter, with respondents expecting to keep investment on hold in the year ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, both the wholesaling and motor trades sectors saw a strong rise in sales.
Barry Williams, chairman of the CBI Distributive Trades Survey Panel and Asda SVP and Chief Merchandising Officer for Food, said: 'Retailers' predictions of further sales growth bore fruit this month. Although that growth was at a slower rate than expected, the fact we've seen a steady increase for six consecutive months is a sign we're heading towards sustainable growth and strengthening consumer optimism – and it's good to hear shopkeepers telling us they expect even stronger figures next month.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 5 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 6 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 7 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 10 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way