Norfolk firm builds exact replica of Spitfire
A scale replica of Britain's most-cherished aircraft the Spitfire has been built by a Great Yarmouth firm and is now on display in Heathrow Airport.
GB Replicas, in Catfield, specialise in creating life-sized replica planes and their work has even appeared in Hollywood movies including Pearl Harbor starring Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale.
The replica Silver Spitfire was built by Stuart Bailey, 70, and his son Stefan, 30, and cost £42,500.
The firm, which employs just two other people, took less than four months to build the plane from scratch which is a replica of the real Silver Spitfire, currently flying around the world in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the D Day invasions.
You may also want to watch:
The plane was built using a fibre-glass mould and is an exact copy of the real thing - except it cannot fly.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
The firm, which also builds fully working boats and is based on the Horizon industrial estate on Sutton Road, was founded by Stuart 30 years ago and has shipped its replicas as far as Australia.
"The Slver Spitfire is life-size and we made it in parts which were put together - we are really proud of it," Stefan said.
"Our replicas have starred in movies such as Pearl Harbour. I was still at school when it came out and I believe they put it on a lorry and drove it along to make the plane look like it was flying," said Stefan.
Craig Wick, MD of a design agency called Edge Retail, based in Leicester, installed the plane at Heathrow - with another Norfolk link. Craig was born and raised in Norwich, and on a trip to the county to visit his parents, he found GB Replicas. The plane was commissioned by Swiss firm IWC Watches, which is sponsoring the real Silver Spitfire flight.
Craig said: "I think it's great to see that a small business like GB Replicas are producing excellent products in Norfolk that are being displayed in some of the highest profile retail sites in the country."