Burger chain Five Guys helps Norfolk youngsters find work through apprenticeships
- Credit: Archant
Four people have been helped by Five Guys to find jobs through a new skills and apprenticeship programme being run by the burger bar.
The fast food restaurant has teamed up with skills specialist Ingeus and its Orford Place outlet to be one of the first to allow new recruits to train for hospitality, business and senior management qualifications.
For 23-year-old April Witham from Long Stratton, who has dyslexia, the new job ends a two-year search.
'I found applying for jobs very difficult and felt totally unemployable,' she said.
'Thankfully Ingeus disagreed and Five Guys saw the passion I had to work. The training and store opening have been amazing and I'm so excited to be starting my apprenticeship.'
Rachel Crawford, 19, struggled to find work after college and Five Guys will be her first job.
She hopes to move out of the YMCA after having secured her position.
- 1 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 2 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 3 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
- 4 Police break up rave at country park
- 5 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 6 Woman accused of exposing herself to boy outside Lowestoft park
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in crash with 4x4 outside village pub
- 8 'Disappointed and angry' - Cricket pitch repeatedly vandalised by bikers
- 9 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 10 Anger as three flights between Norwich and Amsterdam cancelled
'As a young worker, being able to earn a proper wage while also developing my skills is a real bonus,' she said.
'It's been very busy since we opened but it's great fun and I intend to work hard and move up within Five Guys in the future.'
Ingeus will support the apprentices through their 12-month, Level 2 Hospitality Services qualification.
Faye Hance, head of people at Five Guys, said: 'Five Guys has received a really warm welcome in Norwich, people have been looking forward to the opening for months and we are delighted to be here.
'On the people side, we have been really impressed with the team in Norwich; they are engaging, hardworking and a great team.
'The support we have received from Igneus has been incredible, they have found some great apprentices to work with us and we are delighted with the plan to support our new crew members.'
Is your business giving young people a chance? Email email@example.com or call 01603 772426.