Two Norfolk beaches named among the best in Britain
- Credit: Jackie Hope
Two seaside spots in Norfolk appear on The Sunday Times' list of the 40 best beaches in Britain.
The list, which was published in the newspaper's travel supplement on Sunday July 21, was compiled by chief travel writer Chris Halsam, who is "one of the world's leading experts on the British Seaside".
Two Norfolk beaches, Holme and Sea Palling, were placed in the top 20, ranking 14 and 17 respectively.
Of Holme, Halsam said: "When the SUV's are nose-to-tail into Brancaster, Burnham and other locations on the Norfolk Coast, Holme will be empty.
"Just northeast of Old Hunstanton, it's a beach that has kept its saltmarsh, sand, and enormous sky reasonably secret."
Sea Palling won its place thanks to its "spotlessly clean beach of golden sand" and "nine gorgeously sheltered bays".
Tenby in Wales topped the list, which was joined in the top three by Boggle Hole in North Yorkshire and Marloes Sands in Pembrokeshire.
- 1 Norfolk zoo keeper abandoned as a baby reunited with mother in ITV show
- 2 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 3 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 6 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 7 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 8 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 9 Norfolk couple: 'We’ve lost £30k in cryptocurrency scam'
- 10 'Mishap' at historic hotel as van crashes into entrance wall
An East Anglian beach made the top 10, with Felixstowe in Suffolk placing at number nine, and just along the coast Dunwich came in at number 28.