Aviva Women’s Tour announces return to East Anglia with promotional video
The official promotional video for the 2016 Aviva Women's Tour, which is coming to Norfolk for the first time this summer, has been released.
The first stage of the Aviva Women's Tour is to start from Southwold and finishes at Norwich.
The 132-kilometre route on Wednesday, June 15, will also go through Halesworth, Lowestoft, Beccles and Bungay, before crossing the Norfolk countryside to Norwich.
It will be the third successive year Suffolk has hosted a stage of the five-day race and the first time for Norfolk.
Last year it was believed to have provided a £1.1m economic boost for Suffolk when a field featuring world champions rode from Bury St Edmunds to Aldeburgh – watched by an estimated 70,000 spectators, with almost half visiting from overseas or other parts of the UK.
You may also want to watch:
The opening stage of the race, which is now part of the UCI Women's World Tour calendar, should be one for the sprinters with a largely flat route skirting the Broads before the finish in Norwich city centre.
The video features action from the previous two editions of the race which was won overall by Rabo Liv's Marianne Vos in 2014 and Velocio SRAM's Lisa Brennauer in 2015.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 5 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 8 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 9 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 10 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
The promotional video illustrates what we can expect from the 2016 race through the dialogue between the road and the rider.
The road is a battle-hardened old track that has been around for years and seen it all before and challenges the rider to entertain it. The rider is a young female cyclist who has had to face adversity and tough times on the bike, but come through it to take glory.