Aviva Women’s Tour announces return to East Anglia with promotional video
The official promotional video for the 2016 Aviva Women's Tour, which is coming to Norfolk for the first time this summer, has been released.
The first stage of the Aviva Women's Tour is to start from Southwold and finishes at Norwich.
The 132-kilometre route on Wednesday, June 15, will also go through Halesworth, Lowestoft, Beccles and Bungay, before crossing the Norfolk countryside to Norwich.
It will be the third successive year Suffolk has hosted a stage of the five-day race and the first time for Norfolk.
Last year it was believed to have provided a £1.1m economic boost for Suffolk when a field featuring world champions rode from Bury St Edmunds to Aldeburgh – watched by an estimated 70,000 spectators, with almost half visiting from overseas or other parts of the UK.
The opening stage of the race, which is now part of the UCI Women's World Tour calendar, should be one for the sprinters with a largely flat route skirting the Broads before the finish in Norwich city centre.
The video features action from the previous two editions of the race which was won overall by Rabo Liv's Marianne Vos in 2014 and Velocio SRAM's Lisa Brennauer in 2015.
- 1 Crumbling coast fear means Norfolk's 'golf ball' radar must be moved
- 2 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 3 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
- 4 City chip shop might be SINKING but refuses to close
- 5 Yobs pictured climbing on vandalised charity dinosaur
- 6 Seaside Victorian B&B for sale near 'best beach in the east'
- 7 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 8 The days you can visit Wroxham Barns for a fiver this month
- 9 Best friends take over popular café in 'just heavenly' setting
- 10 'Unusual' cottage for sale in one of Norfolk's smuggling villages
The promotional video illustrates what we can expect from the 2016 race through the dialogue between the road and the rider.
The road is a battle-hardened old track that has been around for years and seen it all before and challenges the rider to entertain it. The rider is a young female cyclist who has had to face adversity and tough times on the bike, but come through it to take glory.