Farmers asked to collect live beetles to test their resistance to insecticides
- Credit: Dewar Crop Protection.
East Anglia's oilseed rape growers have been asked to submit live samples of cabbage stem flea beetles (CSFB) so the damaging crop pests can be tested for resistance to insecticides.
The monitoring work funded by the AHDB (Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board) has tracked the rise of beetles with resistance to pyrethroid insecticides over the last few years.
The pest was previously controlled with neonicotinoid seed treatments before the controversial chemicals were banned by the EU due to concerns over their impact on the health of bees.
The AHDB is looking for beetle samples with suspected resistance to pyrethroid insecticides from across the UK's winter oilseed rape production area.
It says the screening evidence assessed so far reinforces the point that any decision to apply pyrethroid insecticides must be based on risk. If a pyrethroid application is deemed necessary, full recommended field rates should be used.
You may also want to watch:
If the application is not effective and cannot be explained by factors, such as poor spray coverage, then it is likely that the population is resistant. In such cases, further pyrethroids should not be applied.
• For more details and sampling guidelines, see the AHDB website.
• The AHDB is also asking farmers to guide investment in pest monitoring services over the next five years by completing a short survey, which closes on November 30.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault