Accountants Grant Thornton named UK’s top employer for social mobility
- Credit: PA
Accountancy firm Grant Thornton has topped a national list of employers taking the most action to improve social mobility in the workplace.
The company, which has an office in Norwich, was ranked highest in which is believed to be the world's first social mobility employer index, compiled by the Social Mobility Foundation and the Social Mobility Commission in partnership with the City of London Corporation.
It beat off other professional services firms KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers, supermarket Morrisons and banking firms JP Morgan and Standard Life to secure the top spot.
The index ranks British employers on the actions they are taking to ensure they are open to accessing and progressing talent from all backgrounds.
Among the top 50 firms were car rental company Enterprise, EDF Energy, O2, Rolls Royce and the BBC.
You may also want to watch:
Several big banks including Barclays and Lloyds made the index, while the Department for Education, HMRC and the Ministries of Defence and Justice are also listed.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 3 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 4 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 5 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 6 Revealed: Norfolk's hotspots for Japanese Knotweed in 2021
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 8 Tractors and harvesters sold as farming family retires after 100 years
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 King's Lynn man admits inciting children to engage in sex acts