Bus route serving Gapton Hall and Tesco in Great Yarmouth to start next week
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A newly re-routed bus service providing access to Tesco and Gapton Hall Retail Park will start next week.
The 61 service between Great Yarmouth and Kessingland will pass Tesco for the first time at around 7.30am on Tuesday, as it begins its new hourly routine.
The six-day-a-week service, which has been put on by Anglian Bus, has come after much campaigning on the part of local transport groups and councillors.
The service will now go through Cobholm, stopping directly outside Tesco, before going on to Gapton Hall Road, dropping passengers outside the retail park.
It will then go on to the rest of its journey through the Harfrey's Industrial Estate, turning down Morton Peto Road before going onto Gorleston, Lowestoft and Kessingland.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Hewitt, of East Norfolk Transport Users Association, said: 'ENTUA has long campaigned for a service to both Harfrey's and Gapton and we are extremely happy to see this, the very fisrt regular service from town to these ever-growing retail areas.'
The service has also been welcomed by Paula King, customer experience manager of the Tesco store.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 7 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 10 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
She said: 'Ever since the store opened in 2002, people have been asking about the possibility of a bus. News of this service has caused a bit of a stir in the store, customers are already talking about it, staff as well. It will certainly make it easier for people without cars to get here.'
David Smith, assistant commercial manager of Anglian Bus said: 'We're excited to offer a new destination to our existing route 61 which will see Gapton Hall Retail Park and Tesco linked with Great Yarmouth, Gorleston and other places along the east coast.
'We introduced the service following suggestion from employees and from the public including local businesses and stakeholders requesting a bus link to Gapton Hall Retail Park.'
The hourly service will run Monday to Saturday, with the first and last services out of Market Gates at 7.44am and 6.14pm respectively. There will, however, be no services running on Sundays.
The first and last times the service passes Tesco on its way back into town centre are at 7.30am and 6.02pm respectively.
Full details of the timetable and fares can be found on the Anglian Bus website.