Bus route serving Gapton Hall and Tesco in Great Yarmouth to start next week
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A newly re-routed bus service providing access to Tesco and Gapton Hall Retail Park will start next week.
The 61 service between Great Yarmouth and Kessingland will pass Tesco for the first time at around 7.30am on Tuesday, as it begins its new hourly routine.
The six-day-a-week service, which has been put on by Anglian Bus, has come after much campaigning on the part of local transport groups and councillors.
The service will now go through Cobholm, stopping directly outside Tesco, before going on to Gapton Hall Road, dropping passengers outside the retail park.
It will then go on to the rest of its journey through the Harfrey's Industrial Estate, turning down Morton Peto Road before going onto Gorleston, Lowestoft and Kessingland.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Hewitt, of East Norfolk Transport Users Association, said: 'ENTUA has long campaigned for a service to both Harfrey's and Gapton and we are extremely happy to see this, the very fisrt regular service from town to these ever-growing retail areas.'
The service has also been welcomed by Paula King, customer experience manager of the Tesco store.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 6 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 10 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
She said: 'Ever since the store opened in 2002, people have been asking about the possibility of a bus. News of this service has caused a bit of a stir in the store, customers are already talking about it, staff as well. It will certainly make it easier for people without cars to get here.'
David Smith, assistant commercial manager of Anglian Bus said: 'We're excited to offer a new destination to our existing route 61 which will see Gapton Hall Retail Park and Tesco linked with Great Yarmouth, Gorleston and other places along the east coast.
'We introduced the service following suggestion from employees and from the public including local businesses and stakeholders requesting a bus link to Gapton Hall Retail Park.'
The hourly service will run Monday to Saturday, with the first and last services out of Market Gates at 7.44am and 6.14pm respectively. There will, however, be no services running on Sundays.
The first and last times the service passes Tesco on its way back into town centre are at 7.30am and 6.02pm respectively.
Full details of the timetable and fares can be found on the Anglian Bus website.