Burst water main partially closes Haven Bridge in Great Yarmouth for three days

An area of South Quay in Great Yarmouth which was flooded from a suspected burst pipe close to the p

An area of South Quay in Great Yarmouth which was flooded from a suspected burst pipe close to the pumping station. The pavement has been lifted in places and a large amount of silt brought up to the surface. Picture: James Bass - Credit: James Bass

Long delays are expected around Great Yarmouth for the next three days as the clean-up continues from a water main which burst in South Quay on Monday morning.


Engineers have assessed the damage and said the west side of Hall Quay, in the direction of North Quay and over Haven Bridge, will be closed to traffic for three days while repairs take place.

This will mean traffic can't travel from Yarmouth to Gorleston over Haven Bridge, but can travel in the opposite direction.

Diversions are in place and police asked drivers to avoid the area to avoid long delays.

Vehicles have not been able to leave Yarmouth over the Haven Bridge since this morning, but can get into town over the crossing.

Flooding on South Quay

Flooding on South Quay - Credit: Archant

Some roads started to re-open this afternoon, including Yarmouth Way, South Quay and Hall Quay, with police officers directing traffic.

First Buses have said that all bus services through the town are affected by the road closure, but all areas are still being served.

Most Read

A spokesman for First Buses said that services would not be back to normal until 6/7pm, and until then services will operate with delays.

The water main burst at 4.30am on Monday and fire crews worked to stop water from entering nearby properties.

Flooding on South Quay

Flooding on South Quay - Credit: Archant

One appliance from Great Yarmouth was joined by a high volume pump from Thetford at around 4.45am.

Crews used two jets to tackle the flooding.

This morning there were also one hour delays for motorists down the A47 Acle Straight.

Essex and Suffolk Water, which has responsibility for the mains, said a 15-inch cast iron pipe had burst.

'We are on site working on the repairs right now,' said a spokesman. 'It is quite a difficult location in terms of traffic movements, so we would advise motorists to follow diversion signs. 'We are working as fast as we can, and no customers have had their water supply affected at the moment.'

Anglian Water were also on site this morning to monitor the situation because the fresh water from the leak is entering their sewage system and 'affecting our capacity and storm drains,' according to a spokesman.

'The fresh water coming out of the pipe is overwhelming our sewer system,' they added. 'We are on scene to manage and monitor the situation.'

South Quay also shut on Friday when a giant gearbox fell off the back of a lorry and damaged the road.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter