Burst water main in Norwich causing traffic chaos
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
A burst water main in Norwich is causing traffic chaos as it forces roads to close.
The pipe burst in Exchange Street causing it, and Gaol Hill to close from around 2.45pm yesterday.
SEE OUR LIVE TRAFFIC MAP HERE
The roads are expected to remained closed until the early hours of tomorrow morning while work is completed.
Traffic has been building up in the city as motorists are diverted from St. Giles back up Bethel Street causing jams around the inner ring road.
On the city's buses, First Group tweeted that services are running with a delay of 40 minutes this afternoon.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Anglian Water said: 'Repair to the leak was completed over night with our engineers working until around 4am.
'We are hoping to have work completed by the end of the day or the early hours of tomorrow morning.'
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 3 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 6 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 9 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 10 UEA scientist warns against surge vaccination to combat Indian variant
The leak has been sealed but due to the size of the excavation to get to it the tarmac must be relaid.
The spokesman continued: 'Anglian Water apologises for any inconvenience caused by the works.'