Burst water main in Norwich causing traffic chaos
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
A burst water main in Norwich is causing traffic chaos as it forces roads to close.
The pipe burst in Exchange Street causing it, and Gaol Hill to close from around 2.45pm yesterday.
SEE OUR LIVE TRAFFIC MAP HERE
The roads are expected to remained closed until the early hours of tomorrow morning while work is completed.
Traffic has been building up in the city as motorists are diverted from St. Giles back up Bethel Street causing jams around the inner ring road.
On the city's buses, First Group tweeted that services are running with a delay of 40 minutes this afternoon.
A spokesman from Anglian Water said: 'Repair to the leak was completed over night with our engineers working until around 4am.
'We are hoping to have work completed by the end of the day or the early hours of tomorrow morning.'
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 5 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 6 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 7 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 8 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 9 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
The leak has been sealed but due to the size of the excavation to get to it the tarmac must be relaid.
The spokesman continued: 'Anglian Water apologises for any inconvenience caused by the works.'