Burney Festival to be held in the summer, King’s Lynn
- Credit: (c) King's Lynn Town Hall; Suppl
King's Lynn will celebrate it's Georgian heritage this summer and the life and times of a prominent family.
A special Burney Festival is being held to commemorate the composer, musician and music historian Dr Charles Burney and his daughter, the renowned novelist, Frances Burney.
The programme, which will run for just over two weeks, includes music, dance, guided walks, talks, a special exhibition, a family party and a Georgian banquet.
West Norfolk council cabinet member Elizabeth Nockolds said: 'This is a fantastic opportunity to reflect upon King's Lynn's Georgian heritage and explore the history of one of the town's most famous families. From exhibitions and scholarly talks to guided walks and fun family events, there really is something for everyone.'
The Burney family arrived in King's Lynn from London in 1751, after Dr Burney became the organist at St Margaret's Church (now known as King's Lynn Minster). Frances Burney, known as Fanny, was born at the family home, on Chapel Street, in 1752.
You may also want to watch:
People will be able to find out more about Georgian Lynn, the Burneys at a Burney Family exhibition at King's Lynn Custom House from June 6 - October 31. There will also be guided walks highlighting the town's Georgian architecture on June 7 and June 13.
The Georgians will be vividly brought to life at Music and Masquerades, an evening of dance at King's Lynn Town Hall on June 13.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 10 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
A family event - A People's Party - is where children can learn the minuet, make a Baroque-inspired mask, learn Georgian card tricks and try their hand with a diablo – a favourite toy of Georgian children. A people's party is also being held at the Hanse House on June 21.
Is there a historical figure you believe should be commemorated? E-mail email@example.com.