Bungay bidding to be a city for a day
A Suffolk market town is bidding for the chance to be a city for a day.
Bungay has made the final three of a national BBC radio competition that will see the winner named 5 live City of 2012.
The station asked listeners to nominate their home, no matter the size or status, for the chance to be a city for a day, to coincide with the 26 towns currently bidding for the right to become a city as part of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
The winner of this contest, as chosen by a public vote, will then play host to radio 5 live for a day.
Bungay was nominated by former town mayor and reeve Stephen Went, who is also chairman of the trustees of Fisher Theatre.
You may also want to watch:
After the town was shortlisted, Mr Went had to record 10 reasons why the town should reach the final three and was delighted when it progressed to the this stage.
He added that it would be great publicity for the town if it won.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 5 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
Current mayor Terry Reeve encouraged people to vote for Bungay as he said the town was representing the eastern region and would be an ideal winner with its history and community spirit.
He added that he would love to see St Mary's church become the town's 'little cathedral'.
The town is competing against Bradford on Avon, in Wiltshire, and Whitby, in North Yorkshire.
The winner will be decided on a text vote, which will close at 8am on Friday. To vote for Bungay sent CITY B to 85058. The texts are charged at the standard rate.